Maya Bay, Kho Phi Phi Leh, Thailand -- Setting of "The Beach"

What is this all about?

Simply put, I am an insatiable traveler. I am also a linguist and a photographer, and I photo-journalize my travel adventures and major life-happenings. This blog is as much for me as it is for my readers, as I love to reflect on the places I've been, the people I've met, and the incredible things I've learned over the years. I am blessed to be able to travel the world, and I strive to inspire and encourage others to do the same!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Art of Being Unemployed With a Purpose

The adventure continues! No, not abroad, this time we are staying Stateside, and it is somewhat of a relief! The logistics that go into planning a trip overseas get exhausting, especially since I've been on the road since September. So this time we loaded up my faithful old truck with two goals: one- leave Tahoe before we get suckered into staying for the winter, and two- find a new job/place to live.

How are we going about this? Nate has been applying for fisheries jobs all over the west, from Seattle to Minnesota to Flagstaff, Arizona and everywhere in between. Sure we are leaning towards some places over others, but when it comes down to it, if he gets a good offer we will most likely follow it to our next adventure. Meanwhile, because we won't hear back from any jobs for a month or two, we decided to make the most of our time and visit friends and parts of the country we don't see often. We're also taking notes as to where we would and would not want to end up. We foresee this lasting through sometime in March.

What about me finding a job? Well since my "field" is much broader than Nate's, I'm hoping I'll be able to find work when we get to where we're going. I'll look into translating, tutoring, transcribing, and if I absolutely have to, the service industry, but I'm going to try to avoid it. It's more important to me to live somewhere that I really enjoy than to have a job that pays well, I seem to be pretty seasonal when it comes to work anyway, I need my travel breaks! I'm not worried, that's the bottom line.

So our trip started with a visit to our good friend Blake (the same Blake we stayed with in Turkey), in Eureka, CA where we spent more time in the Redwoods and on the beautiful coast in the sunshine! So happy to not be dealing with snow right now. We went agate hunting (searching for small translucent rocks), hiking, played some good games of Quelf, and ate yummy food. Then we headed to Portland to visit an old friend of mine from high school for a few days, and the sun followed us! We got a couple lucky days of sunshine and somehow, after being on the coast for more than a week, had yet to see any rain. That ended when we got to Seattle, where we are staying with one of my best friends Amanda (the same Amanda that came to visit Nate and I in Italy). Very fortunately the sun got the memo and showed up here as well! We have been so lucky to have had a few really nice days so we took advantage and went to see Snoqualmie Falls, went hiking up to Rattlesnake Ridge, went up some tall buildings to see the city view, and watched a couple of awesome sunsets. We plan to stay here for another week or so and to visit several more people while we're in the city before heading east...

East includes Sandpoint, ID, Missoula, MT, Bozeman, MT, Jamestown, ND, and finally Minnesota.. we think :)

Photos are up! --->

No comments:

Post a Comment